John’s gospel has its own literary style. It is uniquely different to the other three gospels. The first nine chapters all record Jesus’ encounters with people, and in many instances, the encounters are with individuals. There is the woman at the well, there is the blind man, and here in our gospel reading today there is recorded Christ’s meeting with Nicodemus, the pharisee and member of the chief Jewish religious council, the Sanhedrin.
Whether Nicodemus came to faith in Jesus, after this meeting, we do not know definitively, but we do know that at Christ’s trial before the Sanhedrin he was one of only a few who spoke in Christ’s defense.
More importantly, the dialogue between Jesus and Nicodemus reveals a great deal about God’s plan and purpose in salvation, the true identity of Jesus and his own understanding of himself. All of it is vital for helping us to understand the foundations our salvation.
Today we learn that our salvation is all of God. Out of his love, he purposed it, he accomplished it through the sending of Son into the world and we are the beneficiaries of that gracious act,
Rev Ian Oates, Locum Minister
The Alpha Course
Tuesdays at 6.00pm at Carol Copp’s home in Mount Martha. Enjoy a meal; good conversation; an interesting video.
For more details, contact:
|Carol Copp||0411 405 597|
|Steve Parkinson||0437 984 679|
|Sunday 5th March:||Healing Service, 5.00pm|
|Monday 6th March:||Study Group, “Truth and Freedom”|
|St Mark’s, 7.00pm|
|Contact Kevin or Anne (0438 234 857)|
|Tuesday 7th March:||“Zoom” Study Group, 7.00pm,|
|Contact Graeme (0490 664 843)|
|Alpha Course, 6.00pm|
|Contact Carol (0411 405 597)|
|Wednesday 8th March:||Study Group, St Mark’s,11.00am,|
|Contact Keith (0419 551 082)|
|Craft Group, St Mark’s, 12.30pm,|
|Contact Robyn (0409 425 044)|
|Thursday 9th March:||Women’s Bible Study, St Mark’s, 9.30am|
|Contact Fay (0401 404 280)|
|Men’s Coffee & Chat, Blackthorn Café, 10.00am|
|Contact Steve (0437 984 679)|
|Friday 10th March:||“Zoom” Prayer Meeting, 1.30pm|
|Contact John R (0421 425 156)|
|10.30am||Family Worship with Children’s Ministry.|
|(Holy Communion – 1st Sundays)|
|5.00pm||Healing Service – 1st Sundays.|
|(5th Sundays)||10.00am||Combined Service.|
|WEDNESDAY:||10.00am||Holy Communion Service.|
Parish Contact Details
|Monitored contact points||0493 280 691|
|Parish Web Addresses||www.stmarksdromana.org.au|
|Pastoral Care Coordinators||Kevin and Anne Cranwell (0438 234 457 Kevin)|
HELP NEEDED FOR INDUCTION SERVICE
There are sign-up sheets in the Narthex. Contacts for the various jobs are:
|Hospitality||Jen Watson||0459 310 550|
|Setting up hall||Roy Lindsay||5981 2747 / 0490 476 171|
|Transport||Steve Parkinson||0437 984 679|
|General||Carol Copp||0411 405 597|
Dates for your diaries:
|5th & 12th March :||Return Stewardship & Commitment forms.|
|6th & 13th March :||Working Bees at the church to tidy up and get everything in tip top shape before the arrival of Rev Janice. There are also inside as well as outside jobs to be done – so bring your dusters if you prefer to help inside! Contact Graeme (0490 664 843) for details and offer your help.|
|Wednesday 15th March:||The Induction service at 7.30pm. for Rev. Janice O’Gorman as Vicar of St Mark’s will be held at the Dromana Community Hall, 359 Point Nepean Road|
This Week’s Prayer Focus
In our country and the world:
- For the people of Turkey and Syria as they continue to mourn the loss of loved ones, their homes and their way of life following another two earthquakes.
- For an end to the war in Ukraine and unrest in so many places all around the world, especially for Syria as civil unrest is making it hard to get help to them at this time of dire need.
- For the people of New Zealand’s north island and particularly the Napier area as they come to terms with the loss of life and destruction after Cyclone Gabrielle.
- For aid agencies such as “Save the Children”, Oxfam, CARE, UNICEF, World Vision.
In our community:
- For teachers and students.
- For doctors, nurses, paramedics, the Coast Guard, CFA and SES members.
- For local community outreach groups such as the Dromana Community House and “Food for All”.
In our Diocese and beyond:
- For the ministry of Bishop Paul Barker in the Jumbunna Region and Archdeacon Helen Phillips in the Frankston Archdeaconry.
- For Archbishop Geoffrey Smith’s ministry as Primate of Australia.
- For Archbishop Philip Freier’s ministry n the Diocese of Melbourne.
- In our Deanery, we pray for the Parish of St George’s Red Hill and their Vicar, Fiona Goy.
- For the work of the Church Missionary Society and Wei-Han the Victorian Director.
- For Christian churches around the world to be free to worship and be witnesses of the love of God as shown through the coming of His Son.
In our Parish:
- For our leadership and ministry teams.
- For Ian Oates as he leads us for the next three weeks and his wife Fiona.
- For Rev Janice O’Gorman as she prepares to come to St Mark’s as our Vicar.
- For the finances of our Parish.
- For our Parish, its members and those we reach out to every week.
- For: Backy Cowie.