Last Wednesday we entered the season of Lent. It is an important season in our church year. Our church calendar was originally used in a European setting, meaning that Lent was celebrated in with the dawning of Spring after the harsh cold of winter. It was a time when households would clean out larder and make preparations for the growing seasons of Spring and Summer.
For Christians, the season of Lent has often been used as a time of spiritual reflection as we move toward Easter, and the life-changing events of Christ’s death and resurrection with brings hope and salvation to all who believe. It is always a good exercise to ask ourselves the deeper questions concerning our relationship with Christ, Do we still love him with our whole heart and our neighbours as ourselves?
The prophet says: “Sow to yourself righteousness. Reap the fruit of steadfast love. Break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord that he might rain righteousness upon you” (Hosea 10:12)
You are about to a new phase of your parish life as a new minister is coming to you in a few short weeks. As you prepare to receive her, and the gifts of Christ she brings with her, use this time to prepare your hearts for greater service of our Lord and Saviour Jesus.
Rev Ian Oates, Locum Minister
HELP NEEDED FOR INDUCTION SERVICE
There are sign-up sheets in the Narthex. Contacts for the various jobs are:
|Hospitality||Jen Watson||0459 310 550|
|Setting up hall||Roy Lindsay||5981 2747 / 0490 476 171|
|Transport||Steve Parkinson||0437 984 679|
|General||Carol Copp||0411 405 597|
Dates for your diaries:
|26th February||Evensong, 5.00pm at St John’s, Sorrento.|
|Friday 3rd March||World Day of Prayer Service, 2.00pm Salvation Army Chapel, Capel Sound|
|Monday 6th March & Monday 13th March||Working Bees at the church to tidy up and get everything in tip top shape before the arrival of Rev Janice. There are also inside as well as outside jobs to be done – so bring your dusters if you prefer to help inside! Contact Graeme (0490 664 843) for details and offer your help.|
|Wednesday 15th March||The Induction service at 7.30pm. for Rev. Janice O’Gorman as Vicar of St Mark’s will be held at the Dromana Community Hall, 359 Point Nepean Road.|
The Alpha Course
Tuesdays at 6.00pm at Carol Copp’s home in Mount Martha. Enjoy a meal; good conversation; an interesting video.
For more details, contact:
|Carol Copp||0411 405 597|
|Steve Parkinson||0437 984 679|
General Information for Evensong in 2023
We are thrilled that we can come together for 5 Evensongs this year and especially welcome the parish of All Saints , Rosebud who is participating for the first time. Evensong is a particularly beautiful Anglican evening service. It is a gentle and peaceful way to worship together and we have found that people join us every Evensong for that reason. For some, it is an important link with memories of the past. We hope you all find that same sense of peace as we come together this year.
The next two services will be on Sunday 26th February at 5.p.m. at St John’s, Sorrento and Sunday 23rd April at 5.p.m St Mark’s, Balnarring.
|Monday 27th February||Study Group, “Truth and Freedom” St Mark’s, 7.00pm|
|Contact Kevin or Anne (0438 234 857)|
|Tuesday 28th February||“Zoom” Study Group, 7.00pm,|
|Contact Graeme (0490 664 843)|
|Alpha Course, 6.00pm Contact Carol (0411 405 597)|
|Wednesday 1st March||Study Group, St Mark’s,11.00am,|
|Contact Keith (0419 551 082)|
|Craft Group, St Mark’s, 12.30pm, Contact Robyn (0409 425 044)|
|Thursday 2nd March||Women’s Bible Study, St Mark’s, 9.30am|
|Contact Fay (0401 404 280)|
|Men’s Coffee & Chat, Blackthorn Café, 10.00am Contact Steve (0437 984 679)|
|Friday 3rd March||“Zoom” Prayer Meeting, 1.30pm|
|Contact John R (0421 425 156)|
|World Day of Prayer Service, 2.00pm Salvation Army Chapel, Capel Sound|
|Sunday 5th March||Healing Service, 5.00pm|
Restart dates for other church activities
|Pilates Mat Class||TBA|
Parish Contact Details
|Monitored contact points||0493 280 691|
|Parish Web Addresses||www.stmarksdromana.org.au|
|Pastoral Care Coordinators||Kevin and Anne Cranwell (0438 234 457 Kevin)|
|10.30am||Family Worship with Children’s Ministry.|
|(Holy Communion – 1st Sundays)|
|5.00pm||Healing Service – 1st Sundays.|
|(5th Sundays)||10.00am||Combined Service.|
|WEDNESDAY:||10.00am||Holy Communion Service.|
This Week’s Prayer Focus
In our country and the world:
- For the people of Turkey and Syria as they continue to mourn the loss of loved ones, their homes and their way of life following another two earthquakes.
- For an end to the war in Ukraine and unrest in so many places all around the world, especially for Syria as civil unrest is making it hard to get help to them at this time of dire need.
- For the people of New Zealand’s north island and particularly the Napier area as they come to terms with the loss of life and destruction after Cyclone
- For aid agencies such as “Save the Children”, Oxfam, CARE, UNICEF, World Vision.
In our community:
- For teachers and
- For doctors, nurses, paramedics, the Coast Guard, CFA and SES
- For local community outreach groups such as the Dromana Community House and “Food for All”.
In our Diocese and beyond:
- For the ministry of Bishop Paul Barker in the Jumbunna Region and Archdeacon Helen Phillips in the Frankston Archdeaconry.
- For Archbishop Geoffrey Smith’s ministry as Primate of Australia.
- For Archbishop Philip Freier’s ministry in the Diocese of Melbourne.
- In our Deanery, we pray for the Parish of St Peter’s Mornington with St Martin’s Mt Martha and their Vicar, Helen Phillips, Assistant Priest, John Phillips and Children & Families Minister, Liz Rankin.
- For the work of the Church Missionary Society and Wei-Han the Victorian Director.
- For Christian churches around the world to be free to worship and be witnesses of the love of God as shown through the coming of His Son.
In our Parish:
- For our leadership and ministry teams.
- For Ian Oates as he leads us for the next three weeks and his wife Fiona.
- For Rev Janice O’Gorman as she prepares to come to St Mark’s as our Vicar.
- For the finances of our Parish.
- For our Parish, its members and those we reach out to every week.
- For: Backy Cowie.