God gives us a choice – life or death. Choosing ‘life’ comes through obeying his commandments – in the words of the Psalmist, “Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk [in] the law of the Lord.” Far from judgmental, these readings all assure us of ‘life’, of the benefits of following God’s will. First among these benefits is the emphasis on our good relationships, specifically reconciliation. In Deuteronomy is the assurance that we have been chosen in mercy, and we should therefore show mercy to others. Paul implores the Corinthians to work together for God, and in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew), Christ teaches the importance of making our relationships peaceful ones, with emphasis on working together to achieve reconciliation with others.
Here, the message is that when we work to have ‘right’ relationships with others, when we work towards reconciliation, this is an act of worship, a demonstration of God’s love lived through our lives.
- Give thanks to God for his righteous judgments which challenge us to reflect his love.
- Pray God will conform each of us to God’s will, so that we may truly reconcile with all others, and work together as God’s people.
- Give thanks for the work and witness of the Church of the Province of South-East Asia.
Dates for your diaries:
Wednesday 22nd February: Ash Wednesday Communion service, 7.00pm
Wednesday 15th March: Induction service for Rev Janice O’Gorman as incumbent of St Mark’s. The time of the service is to be confirmed.
The Alpha Course
Tuesdays at 6.00pm at Carol Copp’s home in Mount Martha.
Meal. Conversation. Video.
For more details, contact:
|Carol Copp||0411 405 597|
|Ian and Keryn Rivett||0417 597 241|
|Steve Parkinson||0437 984 679|
Would you like to bless the evenings in a practical way by making a slice or cake? There will be a sign-up sheet with dates or contact Carol. Please bring your slice or cake to church the previous Sunday and Carol will take it home ready for Tuesday evenin.
Parish Contact Details
|Monitored contact points||0493 280 691|
|Parish Web Addresses||www.stmarksdromana.org.au|
|Pastoral Care Coordinators||Kevin and Anne Cranwell (0438 234 457 Kevin)|
|10.30am||Family Worship with Children’s Ministry.|
|(Holy Communion – 1st Sundays)|
|5.00pm||Healing Service – 1st Sundays.|
|(5th Sundays)||10.00am||Combined Service.|
Readings for this week from the Lectionary
|Monday 13th||Genesis 4:1-15, 25||Ps 50:20-24||Mark 8:11-13|
|Tuesday 14th||Genesis 6:5-8 & 7:1-10||Ps 29:5-10||Mark 8:14-21|
|Wednesday 15th||Genesis 8:6-22||Ps 116:11-18||Mark 8:22-26|
|Thursday 16th||Genesis 9:1-13||Ps 102:18-22||Mark 8:27-33|
|Friday 17th||Genesis 11:1-9||Ps 33:8-17||Mark 8:34-9:1|
|Saturday 18th||Hebrews 11:1-7||Ps 145:8-13||Mark 9:2-13|
|Sunday 19th||Transfiguration readings:||Exodus 24:12-18|
|Ps 2||2 Peter 1:16-21||Matthew 17:1-9|
This Week’s Prayer Focus
In our country and the world:
- For the people of Turkey and Syria as they mourn the loss of loved ones, their homes and their way of life following the devastating earthquake.
- For an end to the war in Ukraine and unrest in so many places all around the world, especially for Syria as civil unrest is making it hard to get help to them at this time of dire need.
- For aid agencies such as “Save the Children”, Oxfam, CARE, UNICEF, World Vision.
In our community:
- For teachers and students returned to school ready for a year of learning together.
- For doctors, nurses, paramedics, the Coast Guard, CFA and SES members.
- For local community outreach groups such as the Dromana Community House and “Food for All”.
In our Diocese and beyond:
- For the ministry of Bishop Paul Barker in the Jumbunna Region and Archdeacon Helen Phillips in the Frankston Archdeaconry.
- For Archbishop Geoffrey Smith’s ministry as Primate of Australia.
- For Archbishop Philip Freier’s ministry in the Diocese of Melbourne.
- In our Deanery, we pray for the Parish of St John’s Flinders with St Mark’s Balnarring and their vicar Rev Keiron Jones.
- For the work of the Church Missionary Society and Wei-Han the Victorian Director.
- For Christian churches around the world to be free to worship and be witnesses of the love of God as shown through the coming of His Son.
In our Parish:
- For our leadership and ministry
- For Peter Woods as he leads us as locum, and for Jeanette as she supports Peter.
- For Rev Janice O’Gorman as she prepares to come to St Mark’s as our incumbent.
- For the finances of our parish.
- For our Parish, its members and those we reach out to every week.
- For: Backy Cowie.