Advent is a season of anticipation of the coming of Christ. Jesus’ return is closer than ever, by sheer mathematics! We are a people who believe history is heading towards a designated climax and purpose, where Christ will bring God’s plan for our universe to completion. We live as though it will happen tomorrow. We live in faith and responsibility as though it may happen a long time to come yet.
Prophets like to clean house. John the Baptist was the greatest of the prophets because he announced that Messiah had come – the first time. And he helped prepare hearts by preaching repentance with a view to the forgiveness to come.
John’s word to the hearers? ‘Bear fruit worthy of repentance!’ In other words, show that you really mean it. St Paul said something really similar – it’s not outward religious ritual that counts, it’s faith showing itself in love (Galatians 5:6).
John said Messiah will then come and ‘baptise you with the Spirit and fire’. St Paul similarly says, ‘let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.’ Maranatha
– Come Lord Jesus!
Loving greetings in Christ, Peter Woods (Locum Minister)
|MONDAY 5TH :||Parish Council Meeting,|
|St Mark’s, 10.00am|
|Study, “The Chosen”, St Mark’s, 7.00pm|
|Contact Kevin or Anne (0438 234 457)|
|TUESDAY 6TH :||“Zoom” Study Group, 7.00pm,|
|Contact Graeme (0490 664 843)|
|WEDNESDAY 7TH :||Study Group, St Mark’s,11.00am,|
|Contact Keith (0419 551 082)|
|Craft Group, St Mark’s, 12.30pm,|
|Contact Keryn (0417 597 241)|
|THURSDAY 8TH :||“Coffee & Chat” for Men, Blackthorn Café, 10.00am|
|Contact Ian (0423 116 152)|
|FRIDAY 9TH :||Pilates Mat Class, St Mark’s, 9.00am|
|Contact Amanda A (0431 188 211) to register|
|“Zoom Prayer” Meeting, 1.30pm|
|Contact John R (0421 425 156)|
Parish Contact Details
|Monitored contact points||0493 280 691|
|Parish Web Address||dromanaanglicanchurch.org.au|
|Pastoral Care Coordinators||Kevin and Anne Cranwell (0438 234 457 Kevin)|
|10.30am||Family Worship with Children’s Ministry.|
|(Holy Communion – 1st Sundays)|
|5.00pm||Healing Service – 1st Sundays.|
|(5th Sundays) 10.00am Combined Service.|
A Huge Thankyou
Thank you to everyone who contributed towards the Market last Saturday. Funds Raised: $2211.75 on the day.
For all those who made produce to sell, those who helped set up and pack away, manning/womaning the stalls, and the wonderful fellowship and enthusiasm. A wonderful day.
St Mark’s Extra Meeting 11th December
10.00am (between services) this meeting is to elect another warden. Please seriously consider nominating someone or asking to be nominated for this very necessary position. Nomination forms to Peter by 10.0am Wednesday 7th December.
St Mark’s Carols Service
Sunday 11th December at 2.00pm
This service is a wonderful way of getting into the true Spirit of Christmas. Forget the Christmas shopping and the endless round of
gatherings which we try to fit in. Come along and sing the beautiful Christmas Carols which focus our thoughts on the arrival of the Christ Child.
Donated goods are needed to make up the Christmas Hampers for disadvantaged families at Dromana Primary School. Flyers available in the church narthex for an idea of what to donate and also the drop off times. Deadline for donations is this Thursday 8th December.
Readers and other Volunteers for Christmas Services
Many readers and others are required for the three Christmas services. There is a list in the narthex for volunteers for the Carols service on 11th December, the Christmas Eve service, and the Christmas Day service.
Op Shop Donations
We’ve had a problem with a couple of people who said they spoke to “someone” in the church and were told we would take their donations. Unfortunately, these were goods we are not allowed to sell or can’t accept for a number of reasons. If you are asked about what we take could you ask the person to ring the shop (preferably on a Wednesday morning) to check before loading up their car and then getting agro with staff who are trying to do the right thing. Many thanks for your help.
Regarding printed verses and notices being placed on the inside walls of the church. There has been a problem with the adhesive material taking the paint off the walls when the sheets of paper are taken down. Please see a warden before attaching anything to the walls of the church.
Readings for this week from the Lectionary
|Monday 5th||Isaiah 35:1-10||Ps 85:8-13||Luke 5:17-26|
|Tuesday 6th||Isaiah 40:1-11||Ps 96:7-13||Matthew 18:12-14|
|Wednesday 7th||Isaiah 40:25-31||Ps 103:1-5||Matthew 11:28-30|
|Thursday 8th||Isaiah 41:13-20||Ps 145:8-13||Matthew 11:11-15|
|Friday 9th||Isaiah 48:17-19||Ps 1||Matthew 11:16-19|
|Saturday 10th||Malachi 4||Ps 80:14-19||Matthew 17:10-13|
|Sunday 11th||Isaiah 35:1-10||Song of Mary APBA p. 9 or p. 425|
|James 5:7-10||Matthew 11:2-11|
This Week’s Prayer Focus
In our country and the world:
- For an end to the war in Ukraine and unrest in places all around the
- For aid agencies such as “Save the Children” which work in places of dire
In our community:
- For teachers, doctors, nurses, paramedics, the Coast Guard, CFA and SES
- For local community outreach groups such as the Dromana Community House and “Food for All”.
In our Diocese and beyond:
- For the ministry of Bishop Paul Barker in the Jumbunna Region and Archdeacon Helen Phillips in the Frankston Archdeaconry.
- For Archbishop Geoffrey Smith’s ministry as Primate of Australia
- For Archbishop Philip Freier’s ministry in the Diocese of Melbourne
- In our Deanery, we pray for the Parish of St George’s Red Hill and their vicar Fiona Goy.
- For the work of the Church Missionary Society and Wei-Han the Victorian
In our Parish:
- For our leadership and ministry teams, especially the incumbency committee.
- For Peter Woods as he leads us as locum, and for Jeanette as she supports Peter.
- For the finances of our Parish.
- For all the preparations for all Christmas services.
- For our Parish, its members and those we reach out to every week.
- For someone to step forward to take up the vacant warden’s position.
- For: Louise Frost; Tony & Heather Such; Robyn Rigby; Jenny & Arnold Sikma; Backy Cowie; Lorna Liddell; Bill Myers; Barb Higgs; Ellen Brindley; Keith & Edna South; Noel Meates; Bianca Wilson; Joe and Betty Madeley; Mon English; Carol Copp; Keryn & Ian Rivett; Adam Maddicks; Kate McGuiness; Beth Harper; Ben Schneider; Rachel and Karl Hiehler; Malcolm Bird; Pat Moore; Jan Glass; Peter and Jeanette Woods.
Contact for pew sheet: Joy Clayton (0412 739 137 or firstname.lastname@example.org).