We warmly welcome Bishop Paul Barker to St Mark’s for our combined morning service. We thank him for the pastoral care, the ministry of God’s Word and example for mission he provides for our Diocese. We also appreciate his support of our parish over the last year as we have sought and now found someone to be appointed here in a full-time capacity.
Some of the ministries have been in short recess and are now resuming – we had a lovely service last Wednesday for our midweek gathering. But a lot has been happening in January! The Sunday night meals in four different homes – thank you to the hosts – was a lovely time of fellowship and fun for those who could come. Somehow, we found enough tables, chairs and crockery for 17 who came to the vicarage last Sunday.
And then we had about 120 people crowd in to hear the Cologne Philharmonia Concert, what an event! And following on was the outreach on Australia Day on the beach, with the Art Exhibition running tandem in the church for two days as well. Alpha is about to start, and plans for Lenten study groups have begun.
Also, you would have noticed the playground equipment has been removed with a view to developing a welcoming entrance. Other plans are underway for more storage facilities for chairs and trestles etc. All of these things take the time and effort and skills of people in the service of the kingdom of God. We thank them.
I have informed the Parish Council that my last Sunday with you will be on 19 Feb and Jeanette and I will move back to Bittern on 22 Feb.
Loving greetings in Christ, Peter
Parish Contact Details
|Monitored contact points||0493 280 691|
|Parish Web Addresses||www.stmarksdromana.org.au|
|Pastoral Care Coordinators||Kevin and Anne Cranwell (0438 234 457 Kevin)|
|10.30am||Family Worship with Children’s Ministry.|
|(Holy Communion – 1st Sundays)|
|5.00pm||Healing Service – 1st Sundays.|
|(5th Sundays)||10.00am||Combined Service.|
Restart Dates For Church Activities
|Friday Zoom Prayer:||10th February|
|Pilates Mat Class:||TBA|
Combined Service Sunday 29th January 10:00 AM
We welcome Bp Paul Barker to our combined service today. Bp Paul will preside over Communion and Preach.
There will be a morning tea after the service, (no shared lunch). So, if you can, it would be lovely if you could bring a plate to share for morning tea.
The combined services are a wonderful chance for the congregations of both services to come together and worship as the one church family.
Date for your diaries:
Induction service for Rev Janice O’Gorman as incumbent of St Mark’s. Wednesday 15th March. The time of the service is to be confirmed.
The Alpha Course
Starting Tuesday 7th February 2023 at 6.00pm at Carol Copp’s home in Mount Martha.
Meal. Conversation. Video.
For more details, contact:
|Carol Copp||0411 405 597|
|Ian and Keryn Rivett||0417 597 241|
|Steve Parkinson||0437 984 679|
Readings for this week from the Lectionary
|Monday 30th||Hebrews 11:32-40||Ps 31:23-27||Mark 5:1-20|
|Tuesday 31st||Hebrews 12:1-4||Ps 22:26-32||Mark 5:21-43|
|Wednesday 1st||Hebrews 12:4-15||Ps 74||Mark 6:1-6|
|Thursday 2nd||Hebrews 12:18-24||Ps 48:9-13||Mark 6:7-13|
|Friday 3rd||Hebrews 13:1-8||Ps 27:1-6||Mark 6:14-29|
|Saturday 4th||Hebrews 13:15-21||Ps 23||Mark 6:30-34|
|Sunday 5th||Isaiah 58:1-12||Ps 112|
|1 Corinthians 2:1-13 (14-16)||Matthew 5:13-20|
This Week’s Prayer Focus
In our country and the world:
- For an end to the war in Ukraine and unrest in places all around the world.
- For aid agencies such as “Save the Children” which work in places of dire need.
In our community:
- For teachers and students to return to school refreshed and ready for a year of learning together.
- For doctors, nurses, paramedics, the Coast Guard, CFA and SES members.
- For local community outreach groups such as the Dromana Community House and “Food for All”.
In our Diocese and beyond:
- For the ministry of Bishop Paul Barker in the Jumbunna Region and Archdeacon Helen Phillips in the Frankston Archdeaconry.
- For Archbishop Geoffrey Smith’s ministry as Primate of Australia.
- For Archbishop Philip Freier’s ministry in the Diocese of Melbourne.
- In our Deanery, we pray for the Parish of St George’s Red Hill and their vicar Fiona Goy.
- For the work of the Church Missionary Society and Wei-Han the Victorian Director.
- For Christian churches around the world to be free to worship and be witnesses of the love of God as shown through the coming of His Son.
In our Parish:
- For our leadership and ministry
- For Peter Woods as he leads us as locum, and for Jeanette as she supports Peter.
- For Rev Janice O’Gorman as she prepares to leave her current parish and come to St Mark’s as our incumbent.
- For the finances of our Parish.
- For our Parish, its members and those we reach out to every week.
- As we start a new year, we will renew our list for urgent prayers for our church members. As we resume the Pew Sheet this week, please contact Joy for inclusion on the urgent prayer list. People needing urgent prayer will be listed for three weeks and then removed unless extra weeks are requested.